Loft Condensation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok then my situation is, condensation in a loft which was re-tilled and felted 25 years ago, along with a fire wall added. No soffit boards, mid terrace, ie no end gable or boards for easy ventilation. Is there any benefit in fitting venting tiles if the felt isn't vapour permeable, or is a simple answer, but not ideal, to cut some of the felt to allow the moisture to escape? The other properties do not have any felt, so no issues.

Sponsored Links
First of all apologies admin, if considered a hijack, but did seem that it may add to the discussion regarding remedies.
John thanks for replying. Ventilation does need improving particularly as double glazing has replaced the metal framed windows, which provided plenty of ventilation to the whole property. As a lot of people are probably guilty we do dry clothes indoors, but have the window on the latch permanently in that room. I will be putting an extrctor into the kitchen in the next couple of weeks. The main point of the thread was that not having the easy solution of soffit boards or gable end to provide ventilation in the loft. Would I be wasting my time fitting vent tiles without doing something to the old non-permeable felt. I see on another thread that battens have been placed between the layers of felt to open them up allowing more air to pass, rather than the more drastic of cutting into the felt. Any opinions would be gratefully received.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back