Loft Conversion and Rear extension under PD - Wandsworth

ASM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, firstly sorry for a post similar to others but from what I have seen in other posts doesnt fully help.

I have a standard 2 storey (ground and first) Victorian mid terrace house.

I want to do a Loft Conversion and Rear extension in one project.

However, on the rear extension I want to come the whole way back on the rear of the house (6m). Most of my neighbours properties only seem to come about half way back but one does come back the whole way.

I have read in some detail (I am not a builder, architect etc) the Permitted Development (PD) technical guidelines and from my reading believe that I can do both of these jobs under PD as long as I do them in the right order.

My main concern is over the 40 cubic metre volume limit in Class B for the roof/loft conversion. Assuming I do the standard rear dormer loft conversion and conform to all Class B requirements can I then do the rear extension under PD Class A which from my reading does not have a specific volume limit.

Bear in mind I want to do both jobs in one project.

Anyone got any experience with this? (especially in the London, Wandsworth area)

All feedback appreciated.

I have attached a drawing which shows the existing layout and what I would like to end up with.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Volume limit applies only to the dormer. The rear extension is limited by dimension - i.e. 3m in your case. It doesn't matter what order you build them in except it would be sensible to do the dormer first from a scaffolding point of view.

Hi jeds, thanks for your reply.

Not sure I get the 3m limit though.

I am not adding/extending to the footprint of the house just building/extending up on top of the existing first floor.

As there are no volume limitations in Class A and I am not extending the footprint I didnt see why I cant come back the full 6m?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

If you're proposing an extension... the PD limitations are governed by distances and not by volumes, unlike a dormer window. As jeds mentioned, your rear extension would come under the 3m limitation, which means you could extend 3m back from the original rear wall before planning permission is required. The width can be full width... which I assume is what your 6m is referring to?

Your plan is quite small so I/we can't give exact answers but a quick looks like the proposals will not fall within the requirements of PD, so a planning application would be required.

Sponsored Links
What you are asking for is called a rear and side dormer extension. Not a rear extension. So the total added area must not exceed 40 cubic meters. Remember not to calculate the roof space that is existing only the proposed...( so essentially the triangular areas you are adding on top of the existing roofs. This will determine the depth to can go back to .

What you are asking for is called a rear and side dormer extension. Not a rear extension. So the total added area must not exceed 40 cubic meters. Remember not to calculate the roof space that is existing only the proposed...( so essentially the triangular areas you are adding on top of the existing roofs. This will determine the depth to can go back to .
Do you think the OP is still wondering about this, 6 years on .....

We've all done it. I'm intrigued by the user name, we could use a planning expert here, don't scare him off.

Funny, as this is what I am planning, and started reading the thread with interest, before seeing that it's half a decade old!

But, I was wondering - with a loft conversion we are told not to add more than 40 cubic m, which is ample for even a very a large dormer, but, there is also that question of roof space already added - so a big single storey extension with pretty pitched roof could screw that up ... but do the loft first, and you probably get around it, don't you?

But, I understand I hijacked an ancient thread and nobody is really interested! Right, back to work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back