Loft conversion PD 50cuM rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still nuts deep in my kitchen extension.... recon it’s 8 weeks away from being in use with just odds and sods to finish after that.....

My mind is wandering on other projects. Thank the baby Jesus finances will hold them back for a decent period of time.

So, loft conversions - been reading up on them. I was under the impression that for PD your loft conversion had to be under 50 cubic meters. But then I read the planning portal technical guidance and that seems to suggest it’s PD if you don’t INCREASE by more than 50 cubic meters. What is correct? My loft is massive so well over 50m currently. A dormer on the back would increase by less than 50m..... so still PD?

Sponsored Links
The 50 cubic metres refers to additional volume you add to the roof...so a new dormer or a hip to gable conversion. In practical terms 50 cu.m gets you a very big dormer, far more than most people need.

Don't forget you absolutely need to apply for a LDC for any and all loft work. :rolleyes:

There are experts on here who will advise.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget you absolutely need to apply for a LDC for any and all loft work. :rolleyes:

There are experts on here who will advise.
Balls! As you may well be aware from my other escapades, having now done just over a days research on this I consider myself an expert. It’s permitted development like my extension..... a completion certificate will suffice..... ;)

We had a whole host of solicitor requests on our old house sale for indemnities and other money spinners. We told them not to request them from us. If the buyer wanted them they were welcome to pay for them. Not worth the paper they’re written on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back