Very very simple loft conversion PD question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finding the wording on various sites slightly contradictory, so I thought I would ask the friendly folks on here for a quick answer, specifically around the 50 cubic metre limit for PD loft conversions.

Some sources state that the 50m3 limits don't include the existing space within the loft as these are already accounted for within the house size, however others phrase it as if the entire conversion must be no greater than 50m3.

If I had an existing non-converted loft space that for arguments sake was 70m3 and I decided to convert the entire thing, but without any dormers (and therefore size increase) what-so-ever, would I need PP?

In the above example I believe the loft conversion is 70m3 in total but I am increasing the house size by 0m3, meaning I do not need PP. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The figure of 50 m3 is that over and above the volume of the existing roof. You do not count any of the volume within the existing roof envelope.

If you converted your existing roof space to a bedroom, and did so without building a dormer, your increase in volume would be 0 m3, and it would not require planning permission.

For most conventional semis, eg 1930s hipped roof semis, it is usually possible to convert the hip to a gable and build a flat-roof dormer on the rear and still keep within the 50 m3 volume limit.

Thanks very much, I just started to doubt myself on my interpretation.

Lastly, but still on the subject of loft conversions, would you be able to help with this question? The centre portion of my existing roof is a forward facing gable with quite a high pitch. I plan to use all of the existing loft space include the portion within the forward (street facing) gable end. Would I need planning permission to add a window in the gable end? Whilst it's in the loft space, it's not technically a roof light because it's actually in the gable end wall. Does that make sense? Does the answer change if it was on the rear of my property and not on the front?

Thanks.

Unless it is a listed building, you would not need planning permission to insert a new window in the gable to the front elevation.
Similarly, there would be no restriction on putting such a window, or a velux, on the rear-facing roof slope.
On a side-facing wall or roof it's a different matter and certain conditions apply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back