loft conversion and wieght of flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting my loft space and putting down some MDF flooring (18MM) I've calculated the wieght of the wood to be 544 kg. Is this okay to put this much added wieght ontop of the house - it's an old victorian 5 floor terraced house. Ta

Sponsored Links
what size are the joists what spacing are they and what length is the span!!!

if your timbers are around 4"x1.5" they are sutable for light storage only

well i'm only going to lay a floor up there.

it's a five floor victorian terrace building

I've got 32 free mdf planks - at 8ft x 17" 18mm but I've calculated that there weight comes to about 550kg and I'm concerned whether the loft jousts can take that wieght

I'm only using the central area of the loft for standing space and that covers an area of 8ft.
And i'm laying this floor down over the central retaining wall so that each plank will be supported in the middle and expands out from that 4 ft on either side.

Jousts are 4x2 running width ways, and the distance between the retaining wall and a 4" x 2" beam running length ways on top of the jousts is 80" one way (the jousts are screwed into this beam) one way and the other way the jousts extend 68" before support from a stud wall

The length of the loft is 23ft 3"

these beams that run length ways run ontop of the jousts running width ways. The beams are supported 9ft into their expanse by stud walls that run width ways but then run 14ft 3" without any other major support

does this makes sense?

Sponsored Links
yep i understand but again its only sutable for light storage
the mdf will start to sag rather than cantilever/support on the wall the mdf will also swell and delaminate with the damp so will not add to the supporting roll off the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back