loft conversion & building regs question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking into buying a property that needs total redecoration. One area where there is scope to increase living space is in the attic.

The attic has been converted in both neighbouring houses with velux window type conversions. I am considering a similar conversion but there are a couple of questions regarding modifications that the current owners have done to one of the down stairs rooms leading onto the hall.

The current owners have knocked through the dining room so that it opens directly onto the hall (all of this appears to have been approved and signed off by the required authorities). However, looking at the building regs (Building regs part B, Fire Safety, clause 2.13) it seems to be that the stairs to the ground floor exit have to be protected. What does protected mean, enclosed or separated from other rooms? would this mean replacing the wall that has been removed (all be it with a simple partition wall) that seals the dining room from the hall?

Also the stairs have an open banister, would this have to be replaced with a wall or does the enclosed nature just mean that no rooms should be connected hall ways and passages without a (self closing) door?

I have had a brief look on the net to try and gauge costs but with little success. Can anyone give me some guidance as to likely cost (the neighbours on both sides managed to get two bedrooms into the loft space)

Thanks to anyone that can help, the easiest would be to get someone in from a loft conversion firm to go through what would be required but as we don't own the house it seems a little cheeky. If we do consider making an offer then i would get someone in, however I am at the early stages so any help would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
What does protected mean
It means you should have the ability to exit from the upper floors without having to go through a living space e.g. no stairways into an open plan area.
Damn the thought of being cheeky, get a conversion company around, they should be able to give you an outline of works required within 30 minutes. Be upfront with them and if they aren't prepared to invest 30 minutes for a potential job, their loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back