1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Loft conversion - fire doors and smoke alarms

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by gasbusters, 24 Jan 2021.

1. gasbusters

gasbusters

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello guys

Im nearing the end of the partitioning in my loft conversion, and will have the private building inspector down next week for his first visit to check out the steel beams, purlin supports, rigid insulation etc

There will be 2 bedrooms, a shower room and an office. For the new loft bedrooms il be having fire doors. However the problem may be the hallway downstairs leading to the front door.

Ive got some nice wooden doors on the first floor 3 bedrooms, and living room downstairs. I really dont want to change these 4 doors to firedoors if it can be avoided.

I'll be having interlinked smoke alarms on all 3 floors, 2 on landings and 1 in downstairs hallway. I was potentially considering also having interlinked smoke alarms INSIDE the 3 bedrooms on the first floor as well as an interlinked smoke alarm in the living room to avoid having to change all these doors. Plus i was thinking of varnishing these doors using fireproof varnish (Thermoguard Fireproof Varnish 30 minutes).

With the interlinked smoke alarms and fireproof varnish, would i be able to avoid changing the existing solid wood doors?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. DevilDamo

DevilDamo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Varnish? No chance.

I doubt upgrading to a LD1 system will compensate either.

Ask your inspector

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've seen private inspectors pass things that even a dead badger would've condemned.
    So you're on the right track to get that useless piece of paper (completion certificate)
    If you want to go around rules, avoid getting the council building control officer involved, otherwise you'll need to redo the lot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. gasbusters

gasbusters

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was thinking of using this product, its a base coat and seperate top coat, and they claim it gives 30 minutes protection

https://www.rawlinspaints.com/fire-retardant-varnish

Last edited: 24 Jan 2021
  7. gasbusters

gasbusters

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Im not necessarily trying to go round the rules, just hoping theres enough room for alternative solutions to be considered like fireproof varnish along with interlinked smoke alarms in every room meaning i wont have to change existing 1st floor doors into firedoors

8. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The principle of compartimentation and safe exit route is separate from that of alarm.
    They complement one another, but one on its own is not necessarily sufficient to satisfy the rules.

9. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Paint or varnish degrades and is also prone to being sanded off when it's time to redecorate.

It may be an option in some 500 year old house with important historic doors, but not in a modern house or where the owner just likes the doors he has already.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    'will have the private building inspector down next week for his first visit'

Ah, the sweet optimism of youth

12. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    According to the LABC website this has been withdrawn to be updated. What those updates are is not clear, unfortunately I can't access the members area as I have forgotten my passwords or access my old .gov.uk as I'm not in local government presently.
    Coincidentally I am about to prepare some plans for a loft at one of my old authorities as I have moved back to this part of the country, having spoken to the only BCO who still works there that I know, it turns out that they have never accepted the LABC guidance for retaining existing doors with additional detection since all the District councils became a unitary authority in 2009. They may be unique in this approach, but the moral is don't take it as granted.
    I have another loft conversion which I am designing and building in the authority where I now live, and I am waiting to here back on their policy regarding existing doors.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cool story bro

14. gasbusters

gasbusters

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had the buildings inspector round today, hes fine with the works done so far, everythings in order.

We spoke about the fire regs and doors and he says their is an alternative to changing the doors on 1st floor to firedoors. He said if i use fireproof varnish with a 30 minute fire rating, PLUS interlinked fire alarms in all rooms and landing that will be fine and acceptable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was his name Woody by any chance?

16. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Must have been some dodgy charletan, I've not been out since last March,

• Like Like x 1