Loft conversion - fire doors and smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

Im nearing the end of the partitioning in my loft conversion, and will have the private building inspector down next week for his first visit to check out the steel beams, purlin supports, rigid insulation etc

There will be 2 bedrooms, a shower room and an office. For the new loft bedrooms il be having fire doors. However the problem may be the hallway downstairs leading to the front door.

Ive got some nice wooden doors on the first floor 3 bedrooms, and living room downstairs. I really dont want to change these 4 doors to firedoors if it can be avoided.

I'll be having interlinked smoke alarms on all 3 floors, 2 on landings and 1 in downstairs hallway. I was potentially considering also having interlinked smoke alarms INSIDE the 3 bedrooms on the first floor as well as an interlinked smoke alarm in the living room to avoid having to change all these doors. Plus i was thinking of varnishing these doors using fireproof varnish (Thermoguard Fireproof Varnish 30 minutes).

With the interlinked smoke alarms and fireproof varnish, would i be able to avoid changing the existing solid wood doors?

Sponsored Links
Varnish? No chance.

I doubt upgrading to a LD1 system will compensate either.

Ask your inspector

I've seen private inspectors pass things that even a dead badger would've condemned.
So you're on the right track to get that useless piece of paper (completion certificate)
If you want to go around rules, avoid getting the council building control officer involved, otherwise you'll need to redo the lot.

Sponsored Links
I've seen private inspectors pass things that even a dead badger would've condemned.
So you're on the right track to get that useless piece of paper (completion certificate)
If you want to go around rules, avoid getting the council building control officer involved, otherwise you'll need to redo the lot.

Im not necessarily trying to go round the rules, just hoping theres enough room for alternative solutions to be considered like fireproof varnish along with interlinked smoke alarms in every room meaning i wont have to change existing 1st floor doors into firedoors

Im not necessarily trying to go round the rules, just hoping theres enough room for alternative solutions to be considered like fireproof varnish along with interlinked smoke alarms in every room meaning i wont have to change existing 1st floor doors into firedoors
The principle of compartimentation and safe exit route is separate from that of alarm.
They complement one another, but one on its own is not necessarily sufficient to satisfy the rules.

Paint or varnish degrades and is also prone to being sanded off when it's time to redecorate.

It may be an option in some 500 year old house with important historic doors, but not in a modern house or where the owner just likes the doors he has already.

'will have the private building inspector down next week for his first visit'

Ah, the sweet optimism of youth

According to the LABC website this has been withdrawn to be updated. What those updates are is not clear, unfortunately I can't access the members area as I have forgotten my passwords or access my old .gov.uk as I'm not in local government presently.
Coincidentally I am about to prepare some plans for a loft at one of my old authorities as I have moved back to this part of the country, having spoken to the only BCO who still works there that I know, it turns out that they have never accepted the LABC guidance for retaining existing doors with additional detection since all the District councils became a unitary authority in 2009. They may be unique in this approach, but the moral is don't take it as granted.
I have another loft conversion which I am designing and building in the authority where I now live, and I am waiting to here back on their policy regarding existing doors.

Had the buildings inspector round today, hes fine with the works done so far, everythings in order.

We spoke about the fire regs and doors and he says their is an alternative to changing the doors on 1st floor to firedoors. He said if i use fireproof varnish with a 30 minute fire rating, PLUS interlinked fire alarms in all rooms and landing that will be fine and acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back