Loft conversion on property where permitted development has been removed.

elh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow in an area where permitted development has been removed.

The relevant restriction states "no extension into the roof shall be constructed in the rear elevation".

Any clue as to what "no extension into the roof shall be constructed in the rear elevation" means? If I taken literally, it suggests I can extend into the loft but not in the rear part, however, nothing is ever that simple!

Sponsored Links
If permitted development rights have been removed then you can't convert any of the loft without applying for permission.

If you are just referring to that restriction mentioned, then you can't add a dormer or alter the roof.

Just re-read my post and realised I'd left a paragraph out lol. Sorry about that. Hopefully this places it in more context.

PD has been removed for any outside extension, conservatory and garden shed. There is no article 4 and the property is not in a conservation area. The loft restriction is within the original planning permission for the dwelling dated 1994. The reason given is 'to protect the outlook and privacy of adjoining existing property to the rear of the plot'.

Thus I initially assumed it prohibited any form of window. But I can see that a dorma would be an extension and window.

So does that mean I have PD to convert a section of the loft and install a velux in the front and the sides providing I leave the rear as is ?

A rooflight is not an extension to the roof, so unless there is anything else you have missed out, ie specifically mentioning a loft conversion, then you could convert the loft under PD and install roof lights as long as you don't alter the roof.

Sponsored Links
All I'm looking to do is create a small space with the addition of a couple of roof lights. Its the area within the loft that will be created, the only change to the roof itself would be where the roof lights are installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back