Loft Conversion - Removing the support beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am slowly trying to convert my loft and have put in the horizontal timbers on every rafter that go over your head and just wondered what anyone thought about removing the horizontal support beams (not the diagonals) that stop you from being able to walk through the middle of the loft.

I understand that the diagonals are supporting the weight but the horizontals just stopping the roof spreading so do you think that my horizontals over head are sufficient enough to take the two support beams out?

Any ideas or thoughts welcome.

(I have uploaded images that you can see)

Sponsored Links
There are no images in your albums that i can see, but it does not really matter, get a structural engineer in before you trash your house or do yourself some damage, and if this is to be a habitable space, i assume you have BC involved and the required permissions to do this work?

I have been told by a structural engineer to get steels. He is in favour of going down the proper route of going by building regs and being able to call it a bedroom.

I have also been told by a builder and a carpenter that steels are unnecessary as long as I don't mind not being able to sell it as a bedroom.

All have said I don't need planning permission for this work so haven't been convinced I need any consent as of yet (interested to hear any thoughts on this...?)

The upload of images doesn't seem to be working so will try again later!

You may not need planning permission, that's is true in most cases, however the work is still notifiable and inspected by building control, if you do not have the correct permission and paperwork you will never be able to sell it as a bedroom, as your carpenter and builder have stated. If it was me (and i have done this0 do it properly, get building regs, use steels, add value to your property, and don't run the risk of having an unsafe, cold in winter, hot in summer extra "Bedroom" just not worth it.

That's my 2 cents, others may see it differently.

Sponsored Links
You may not need planning permission, that's is true in most cases, however the work is still notifiable and inspected by building control, if you do not have the correct permission and paperwork you will never be able to sell it as a bedroom, as your carpenter and builder have stated. If it was me (and i have done this0 do it properly, get building regs, use steels, add value to your property, and don't run the risk of having an unsafe, cold in winter, hot in summer extra "Bedroom" just not worth it.

That's my 2 cents, others may see it differently.

It's not just about being able to sell it as a bedroom; an unauthorised loft conversion can make your property more difficult to sell, and may devalue it.

If Building Control discover you have done unauthorised works, they can record the fact and it will come up in a search by a buyer's solicitor, which is going to cause you difficulties.

It would also be fraudulent were you to omit to mention this on a seller's property information form, which leaves you in the same position.

There's also the question of how you would stand with your house insurance, should the roof cave in (which, on the basis of what you've said, seems likely).

I did a renovation on my bungalow which amounted to a loft conversion, with a builder doing the structural work (all notified to BC and signed off). I found that my own intuitions as to what could or could not be removed from the roof structure were often at odds with what the builder and structural engineer told me was actually the case. It doesn't matter what you *think* will be safe, if you don't actually know what you're doing.

Cheers
Richard

If you are not sure of the differences between planning permission and building regulations then you are better off staying well away from anything as structurally important as a roof.

Listen to the advice above.. either do it right or not at all..

But to answer your first question, no you cant just remove the horizontal timbers as they are probably collar ties stopping your roof spreading.. once a roof spreads its impossible to correct and would require the entire thing to be stripped and replaced..

Stick with the SE's advice, put in some steels and support the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back