loft conversion - roof support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a loft conversion job where the customer wants to use the loft as another room. the problem is that there are roof supports that are in the way.

I have highlighted the ones that i am talking about in the below image in red

Can i remove these supports or do something that will allow me more floor space

View media item 18335

Sponsored Links
Is the roof a fink truss rafter design?

Truss_Detail.jpg

its possible cos ive just done one but a SE designed it and there was plenty of steel,timber put back in place of all the supports i had to remove.

Hi guys,

I cant find an image on the net so i made this in photoshop. (Its not the best..lol)

basically the black lines are the roofing joists, the red block is the joist that supports the roof ones (black) and the green ones are supporting the red ones.

Its the green ones that i want to either get rid of or maybe reposition to maximise floor space.

Please help/advise as i need to give a quote.

View media item 18377 View media item 18378

Sponsored Links
you need to install new floor joists either,200x50,225x50 or 200x75 and then and only then you can install new stud walls to hold up the rafters(black) and then you can cut out the timbers in question.BUT I WOULDNT DO ANY OF THAT WITHOUT SE's CALCS,as ive received today for a loft conversion to im starting tomorrow.

ok. wow that looks like a lot of info. i understand about the floor joists but if i am to erect stud walls, how will that support the beams that support the rafters?

Tell the customer to contact a loft conversion company, and tell them they can expect to pay in the region of 15-20k.
You need more than a clue to attempt this kind of work and do it properly and safely.

you put in a new purlin and sole plate directly below and erect the stud wall between the 2 but you need good fitting timbers to give the purlin a good solid support.

Thanks guys for all your help. I have contacted her to inform her that this will cost alot more than expected and i have also contacted a structural engineer & competant builder.

Many thanks again.

Vinny

ok. wow that looks like a lot of info. i understand about the floor joists but if i am to erect stud walls, how will that support the beams that support the rafters?
I have 9"x3" floor joists resting on the wallplates then a stud wall on floor joists supporting the purlin above

Thanks for the reply too masona.
Do you by any chance have any pictures so i can see what you mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back