Loft Converstion and Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a major extension built and whilst the house is in bits I would like to have my loft space turned into something that is usable. I hesitate to use the phrase ‘loft conversion’ but that is basically what it would be.

I am told by my builder that he can make the space usable by insulating the floor and then boarding it with moisture proof boards (chip board I think he said), insulating it properly between the roof rafters and plaster boarding it so it can be painted and also but in a Velux Window. I am told the cross members can be replaced with vertical beams which will be suitable as there are 2 very substantial perlins that run the length of the loft ensuring the structural strength of the roof.

I could then have a decent loft ladder and hatch and hey presto a ‘posh loft’. I’d quite like to go a stage further and have a staircase put in which will obviously cost a bit more but makes access easier. Again my builder said he can do it but would have to build in a fire door at the top (fine with me).

Still with me…?

The problem I have is that the roof is not high enough to meet building reg’s as a loft conversion so this would have to be DIY project and my builder would not be taking any responsibility for it. I am totally comfortable he would do a ‘proper’ job as far as he can but my conundrum is – is it worth doing or will it just be a nightmare later on?

It seems daft to pass up the opportunity to have a pointless part of the house turned into something usable but in later years if I sell the house I don’t want potential buyers put off because I have a conversion without building reg’s.

When does a nice loft turn into a ‘loft conversion’??? (I would imagine a staircase is across that line). Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts and advice – I haven’t spent any cash on this yet so it is still just an idea…

Thanks a lot (and sorry it is so long)

Sponsored Links
As you say once you fit a stair it will be seen as an illegal loft conversion. Anything up to that point can be done and it won't technically be seen as a loft conversion. That said if you are thinking of making structural alterations to the loft require Building Control notification and inspection is required.

there is no minimum head height for a loft BTW though there is over a stair.

Building regs would also require a proper floor (your ceiling joists won't be adequate), with insulation within it for fire protection.

You'd need 30 minute fire doors on all rooms opening to the escape corridor (unless the regs have changed since we converted the loft in our last house - which we did just before that particular requirement came in).

Cheers
Richard

Building regs would also require a proper floor (your ceiling joists won't be adequate), with insulation within it for fire protection.

You'd need 30 minute fire doors on all rooms opening to the escape corridor (unless the regs have changed since we converted the loft in our last house - which we did just before that particular requirement came in).

Cheers
Richard

All those doors - That's something didn't think about, seems a bit over the top if I forget about the staircase and go for a loft hatch. I don't want to change all the doors upstairs just because I have made the loft a bit more comfortable. I think I need to go through this in a bit more detail with my builder. Because of the height of the roof it can never be a proper conversion, I was just trying to get as close as possible. Too many rules !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
[quote="DIYStu2014";p="3113960
All those doors - That's something didn't think about, seems a bit over the top if I forget about the staircase and go for a loft hatch. I don't want to change all the doors upstairs just because I have made the loft a bit more comfortable. I think I need to go through this in a bit more detail with my builder. Because of the height of the roof it can never be a proper conversion, I was just trying to get as close as possible. Too many rules !!!!!![/quote]

Check the current regulations though, in case my information is out of date.

The carpenter who did most of our loft conversion (around 2006) was despondent about the door thing, because a lot of his business was converting lofts in Victorian houses, and he could see it falling off because people wouldn't want to replace all their original doors.

Fortunately ours was done when all you needed was a closer on each door to the escape corridor. He had a box of closers that he took from job to job, to get them signed off...

Cheers
Richard

He had a box of closers that he took from job to job, to get them signed off...
This is precisely one of the reasons the Regs were changed with respect to this, as BC were all too aware of householders removing closers as soon as their back was turned. at least with fire doors the homeowner retains the choice to close them or not and they can offer protection should the unthinkable occur.

Hence now as you say fire doors on all habitable rooms are required. though if they are nice, you can upgrade your existing doors if the doors lend themselves to such an upgrade and BC are in agreement though this can be more costly than replacing the doors.

@ DIYStu2014 as mentioned once you fit the stair a whole plethora of Regs become relevant so really I wouldn't bother or it will end up being refereed to as a non compliant loft conversion when you come to sell.

@ DIYStu2014 as mentioned once you fit the stair a whole plethora of Regs become relevant so really I wouldn't bother or it will end up being refereed to as a non compliant loft conversion when you come to sell.[/quote]

I agree - the stairs are non-starter. Assuming I don't have stairs, will building control still look at this as a loft conversion? I take on board other posts you have made about fire safety. I need to get the loft properly insulated anyway so bringing that up to a proper level of fire safety reg's seems like an obvious thing to do (he says without having any idea how much that costs ). The builder says he can change the roof supports to make the space usable, again does that need building control sign off? (I think I already know the answer don't I)

Sigh, only once you fit some stairs it can be seen as loft conversion albeit an illegal one. Fundamental changes to the roof structure requires building Regs sign off and IMO should be done. Adding a bit of boarding or some crossmembers or insulating IMO is not worth getting Building control involved, provided its done right of course.

The removal or structural elements or similar can bite you when you come to sell, not to mention it being potentially dangerous if not done right. Boarding out or adding some boards will not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back