Loft Coversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, i'm brand new to the forum and i'm here looking for some advice.
I've decided to convert my loft into an additional bedroom to creat some well needed space in the house. What i want to know is how much of it can i realistically do myself and which bits definitely need to be done by professionals? I'd like to keep the costs down as much as i can but i don't want to cut any corners.
I've found a good website for loft hatches, loft ladders etc. already so i'm ready to go

Sponsored Links
the important bits:

structural engineer/and or designer or architect.

fitting any steels.

fitting beefier joists.

fitting the correct rafter insulation and relevant ventilation.

fitting the staircase and achieving the headroom and spindle spacing.

fire reg's.

part p regs.

Sorry Bill, but based on the web link you sent, you are so not 'ready to go'! :eek:

For one, you'll need to submit a Building Regulations application to the Council before you do anything, so that all the matters in noseall's reply can be assessed. Failure to do so is a criminal offence for which you can be prosecuted.
Secondly, you cannot have a loft ladder to your new room, as your link would imply is proposed. It needs to be a proper stair (or at worst one of those goddamn awful 'alternating tread' or 'paddle' stairs). The arrangement of the existing stairs is paramount to the means of escape provisions (in case of fire) and as such, the loft conversion may necessitate layout changes at the lower levels of your house.

Get some professional help (designer, plan drawer or architect) or at least go and talk to Building Control at the local Council offices to put you on the right track.. I've seen loads of these go wrong and it always ends in tears for the home owner - honest! :cry:

As for doing it yourself, (apart from the electrics, which will need certifying) it's all very DIY possible, depending on your talents and the time you want to spend doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back