Loft Eave Cupboard Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am looking to improve the insulation level of my "non-habitable" loft conversion. One area that needs improvement is in the eave cupboards. They essentially have no insulated backing to them and you can see right down to the eaves where there will be a draught coming through.

I was thinking of some form of baton along the top and bottom and then attaching some plywood sheeting and then facing it with solid insulation etc?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

loft-2.jpg loft-3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Rip that down and put some foil faced insulation between and or across the rafters. Seal gaps with expanding foam.

If any air gap needs to be maintained under the felt, then allow for that.

Otherwise (and less messy) just insulate across it as it is with the foil faced board. No need for batten and ply first. Use a 2x1 timber to hold it to the rafters - either horizontal or parallel to the rafters.

Thanks for the reply woody.

Just to clarify, there is already fibreglass insulation (probably not enough) between the rafters. That sheeting seems to be there to stop it from falling out or something. Hence I thought it would be an idea to square off the cupboards and insulate. There is no roof felt, this is a 1930s tile roof with back mortaring.

Obvious question, how would one attach and retain foil faced insulation between or across the refters?

Will certainly consider the options you mentions. I assume the 2x1 timber ply goes over the foil face board and screws into the rafters?

Thanks

Last edited:
I assume the 2x1 timber ply goes over the foil face board and screws into the rafters?

Yes thats it, it does not need to be 2x1 just something like it to do the job. It's a lot easier than using larger sheets of board.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, if I went with the first option and put 150mm of solid insulation across the rafters. How would one go about attaching it to the rafters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back