Loft extension - needs a fire door?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbing my loft extension which is a bog standard second story jobby in an end terrace 1930's surburban street. The stair case to the loft ext is above the existing one and comes on to a landing which is as wide as the stair case and around 1m20cm long.

The door into the extension space from the landing area appears to be a fire door (it was bloody heavy when I took it off).

Do I need a fire door into the loft extension???

Thanks, Scott.

Sponsored Links
Will I need fire doors?

As the floor level of lofts are often a considerable height above the ground, special consideration needs to be given to means of escape in case of fire.

The new loft room should be separated from the rest of the house by fire resisting construction. This can be achieved by upgrading the existing first floor ceiling from within the loft space or from the rooms below.

To maintain this separation and prevent smoke entering the new rooms, a self-closing fire door at the top or the bottom of the new staircase is required and other provisions will be required.

A means of escape window is also required.

Contact your local building control for advice as they all interpret the regs accordingly.

Pete

The rules for loft conversions recently changed, and now an escape window is not required (nor an option) but instead all habitable rooms off the staircase need to be fire doors - including the loft. No self closers are required either

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back