Loft Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft is being converted and I am thinking of getting soft wood floorboards put down instead of chipboard, just because I will leave them exposed and I guess easier to take up if I ever need to. For the bathroom I will be tiling so I presume I need ply, so would the ply go straight onto joists?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
As per above, what do people advise to cover the joists in a loft bathroom - chipboard, ply or floorboards. Cement board will be used on top of the flooring for tiling.

If you haven't laid anything in there yet why not use 22mm No More Ply. No overboarding needed then and you could drive a tank over it.

If you haven't laid anything in there yet why not use 22mm No More Ply. No overboarding needed then and you could drive a tank over it.

Cheers. There is nothing laid yet. So wondering what to lay on the joists in prep for tiles. Is no more ply a cement board? I was thinking of chipboard (or floorboards) then cement board. So can you put cement board direct on to joists?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can with this. I always use it when fitting wet rooms and replace the existing floor with it. It's tongue and grooved and absolutely solid when fixed. Tiles can be laid directly to it.

I get mine from local tile shop which stock no more ply. You can always get it online but obviously you'll pay for delivery.

ok great thank you. And just to check, so when you put this stuff down, you actually take up the floorboards and put this direct on to joists?

That's correct. Use their Mega Adhesive and run a line across the top of each joists and along the tongue of the board and screw about every 300mm. I always pre drill and countersink holes. Have a look online at the installation instructions, it will explain it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back