Loft Flooring- Advice urgently needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

A few months ago I thought I would make use of the loft space properly and lay some loft flooring. I purchased the flooring from TP and screwed it all down. I am really prowd of the job I have done. However I am now having concerns about the possible implications of what I have done.

Could the weight of the chip board flooring be too much for the loft and cause severe structural issues?

Could it lead to the loft leaking? I have not damaged the roofers felt or anything but I am paranoid about the weight altering the heavy roof tiles and producing damp problems or leaks!

Details
The house was built in 1978 /79 and is a terrace.
The joists are small 3 inch by 1.5 inch spaced every 60 cm., running parrallel front to back or the house.
The space is only used for the stoorage of general stuff and not used as a living space.
The old water tank etc have been removed and replaced with a combi boiler whick was professionally installed in the kitchen.
Need to know if anyone thinks it will cause any problems

I appreciate any advice and really would like to put my mind at rest on this one!

Cheers in advance

One paranoid novice
Rich

Sponsored Links
Rich1 said:
Could it lead to the loft leaking? I have not damaged the roofers felt or anything but I am paranoid about the weight altering the heavy roof tiles and producing damp problems or leaks!
Are you talking about chipboards on the roof rafters or ceiling josits ?

Hi Masona,

I was talking about the ceiling joists.

Thanks in advance

Rich1

Rich1 said:
Could the weight of the chip board flooring be too much for the loft and cause severe structural issues?
Shouldn't be a problem if you're using it for light storage just reaching from the loft trap area because of the joists size but having said I cannot see what the layout of the joists position is resting on. If you want to use it for heavy storage then a bigger joists ( depending on the span ) resting between the bearing wall and wallplate and screw to the side of the exsisting joists.

Are the 3 inch by 1.5 inch roof trusses with gang nail plate on the joint, if so are they resting on any internal walls ? A picture would be great.

Sponsored Links
Hi Masona

Thanks for getting back to me.

I layed the flooring down from the loft hatch spreading out and have covered the entire space. Have not moved any supports just made the boards fit around them. (screwed to joists- as per instructions). I have cut incerts in the flooring so that the cables can run over the joists and are not pinched. As per instructions.

The joists are joined to one another by a galvanised nail plate each side. I have no idea if they rest on the internal walls of the property. It was not obvious that they did when I was laying the flooring. Didn't know to look. The joists just run in parrallel form front to back of the house. 60 cm spacings. The ceiling plaster boards are nailed to the underside.

Unfortunately I don't have a digi camera for a pic. There would not be much to see anyway, other than a floored loft space, roor rafters. Which incidentally are more substancial than the ceiling joists.

Currently there is only boxes of books/ toys etc, spread around. No heavy furniture or really heavy stuff up there, Its not at all rammed.

Cheers mate

Rich

Rich1 said:
The joists are joined to one another by a galvanised nail plate each side.
The gang nail roof trusses are a lot stronger than you think, clever design, so no worry there. If you are going to jump around up there then you will need a bigger ceiling joists.

I guess I should stop worring then and leave it as it is.

Thanks for all the help

Rich

Rich1:

If I were you, I shouldn't put too many books in the loft. Books are HEAVY!

As an example, in the old Imperial days, floors had to be designed to take 30 lbs/sq.ft. for domestic premises. However, if you were designing a library, you had to design for 220 lbs/sq.ft. (I'm quoting from memory here but I think my figures are near enough to make the point.)

Senate House in Bloomsbury, the head offices of London University, was originally designed to house two libraries. It was widely quoted that Senate house has two steel skeletons; one to support the building, the second to support the books!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back