Loft flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've just bought a new build house in Feb this year so storage is quite minimal. So i need to utilise the loft space, i had read lots online and alot of people are saying that it is quite easy todo for a basic DIY guy like my self.

Some people are saying to place 'loft legs' on the joists to create a raised floor so that insulation is not squashed?

Also on B n Q how to guide it says you can take of the excess layer of insulation and attach it to the roof?

Anyone done this to their loft before? tips? :D

Sponsored Links
the most important point is to be certain the joists can take the weight of the flooring and the items to be stored.

Some modern houses have joists that are not designed to carry more than the weight of the ceiling, insulation and maybe one person doing occasional
maintenance in the loft.

thanks for your reply!

so how do i determine that?

i just intend to store like xmas decs and stuff up there nothing too heavy?

Have a look on the flooring section of the forum, there are thousands of similar threads discussing this.

Stilts are not ideal because the do not spread the loads. It is better to fit some additional joist on top of your originals perpendicular to them, then fit your insulation in between and deck on top. Squashing the insulation a bit will not do any harm or reduce its effectiveness.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply!

so how do i determine that?

i just intend to store like xmas decs and stuff up there nothing too heavy?
Your existing joists, although flimsy will be fine for some additional joists. boarding out and storing some lightweight stuff up there. You'll even be able to walk around up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back