Loft hatch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1950's house.
Current loft hatch seems to be T&G boards covered on the ceiling side with thinnish (9mm?) ply. Hinges down to allow a loft ladder. Currently no insulation

The current hatch is draughty despite a bad attempt at fixing a fresh jamb around inside. The hatch doesn't seem that square compared to the frame and has some fluff that indicates air movement. The hatch is big due to the ladder fitting.

I think I have the choice of building a new door and frame that's actually square then fitting it to the existing hole? I'd keep any framing but adjust the newer frame with wedges and packers and possibly some new trim?

or

Make a deliberately non square door to fit the hole? MDF? Ply?
I'd use something like kingspan/celotex to insulate it.

what's the easiest? I have access to a reasonable workshop with a wall saw so straight cuts and true square corners isn't an issue.

ta

Sponsored Links
Maybe just install some draft excluder and glue some celotex to the back of the existing hatch. ?

would do but it looks crap.
I might see if I can remove the hatch and take off the ply that faces it.
Then I could cut a new piece and replace it so it looks neater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back