New loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to insulate and board out my loftspace in a 1930's ex-council semi. I would like to be able to use it as light storage and an occasional hobby room.

The existing loft hatch opens up directly beneath on of the supporting beams (purlins?) and the sloped section of roof which leaves approx. 800mm clearance in which I have to perform an excentric commando roll in order to get into the loft! :confused: It is also situated above the 1'st floor landing and stairs which means if i slip, I'm on a rather speedy, one-way trip to the ground floor!

I would like to move the hatch to a more cental position that alows greater head clearance for access. Is it just a case of cutting the hole in the ceiling, cutting through a ceiling joist, fitting a noggin between the joists either side of the hole (trimmer?) and making the hatch fame?

Also, do BCO need to get involved ant any point? I'm already having sleepless nights about them re: my other post in 'Building'.

Sponsored Links
wanabechippie said:
I would like to move the hatch to a more cental position that alows greater head clearance for access. Is it just a case of cutting the hole in the ceiling, cutting through a ceiling joist, fitting a noggin between the joists either side of the hole (trimmer?) and making the hatch fame?
Yes providing the roof are not gang nail trusses then put in another joist to make a double joists on the long length all the way and screw it to the ex-joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back