Loft insulation - Can you mix types??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a loft that is currently unboarded. The roof has been sprayed with a yellow 'foam' all over which I'm presuming acts as insulation - or is it designed to keep the roof in one piece??? Its 50's house so this could be the case.

If it is there for insulation, should I also add insultion between the joists (and how thick) before I board the loft with chip board? The more the merrier right? or is mixing the two types a bad idea?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Hi
Yes I looked to using foam in my place. It does keep the roof in one piece and is there for insulation.
One thing to look for is how much ventilation your loft gets?
With no ventilation when you insulate the floor of your loft, it will become colder and you will get condensation in it, which you do not want.
If you do have good ventilation in there, then the foam is not helping keep your house very warm and putting more insulation on the floor sounds like a good idea.

Anthony

never spray the underside of your roof with that rubbish.

use insulation that can be REMOVED OR REPLACED.

280mm is the required thickness of fibreglass across roof ceiling joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back