Loft insulation - enregy grant or DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a quote to top-up approx 120m2 of loft which currently has 100mm insulation to the regulation 270mm, and to do an area of approx 40m2 which presently has nothing. The quote of £700 seems steep, so my questions are:

What are the existing criteria for qualifying for the energy grant - over 70 and on benefits? Online its not very clear. Or still available to everyone?

What is the cheapest option in terms of buying insulation if I do it myself?? In terms of pric per m2? And can rolls be picked up cheaply after the winter is over?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
British Gas (or for you, presumably Scottish Gas)

in England they do it free for anyone. Have a look at their website.

Also look at gas and electricity companies operating in your area, and your local council's, websites.

The big companies have an energy saving obligation so do free or subsidised installations. If they have too many requests they may limit who they give it to.

If you DIY, I would not touch the yellow fibreglass which sheds irritant dust and fibres. You can get brown mineral wool now, treated with Ecose (name will be on the wrapper). It is made by Knauf but is sold under own brand names by some DIY sheds and I think Wickes.

they get fined if they don't meet there quotas so the later on in the financial year if they are short they lower the qualifying criteria to shift there quota

Right now my energy supplier offer is closed, and the general government scheme is now a bit more stringent. What I was wanting to know is for 400mm centres, what is the cheapest way of getting some 100mm quilt? And to go over that whats the cheapest available 150mm quilt?

Sponsored Links
Extra loft insulation doesn't save much IMHO. I'll explain...

I got cavity wall insulation put in our fairly new house a few years ago, but declined the offer to get an extra 270mm thickness of loft insulation. A few months later I got a letter telling me how great my house now was, but that it could be much better with the extra loft insulation... and I could save UP TO a whopping £9.50 per year!

I reckon that some insulation is much better than none, but lots of insulation is only marginally better than some.

I originally decided the hassle of lifting the partial flooring and then not having storage space and access to wiring etc outweighed the potential benefits.

edit... the house is a 4 bed detached built year 2000, with loft of about 64m2, which already had 100mm of insulation.

and I could save UP TO a whopping £9.50 per year!

How much you save is variable as lot's of people simply keep the same heating load but enjoy more warmth.

But there is a significant difference between 100mm and 300mm, it is after 300mm that you hit diminishing returns, I doubt the accuracy of that figure.

did you look at bg/sc?

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy-saving-products/home-insulation[/QUOTE]

i called them yesterday incidentally, and they seem a bit more accommodating. time will tell - they will do an assessment next week :D

No-go with British Gas. Because I had part-insulation they wouldn't even consider doing the non-insulated part of the house :evil:

Looking online the prices seem quite steep - cheapest is Wicks for a 2nd roll half price deal which works out at £15 per Knauf roll. There does seem to be slightly cheaper out there - namely Ursa 10 Diverso. Any idea how this compares in terms of performance and ease of install??

in a couple of months most of the sheep will lose interest in heating and insulation, and you might pick up some clearance bargains.

I would not touch yellow fibreglass again.

Keep an eye on free cycle there was a guy giving 2 rolls of knuf insulation just a few days back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back