Loft Insulation/Flooring/load bearing etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read through some of the topics here via search engine results and I have found some very knowledgeable folk here. So much so, a lot of it does somewhat baffle me as my skills are directed towards farming and not houses! I have recently removed all of the old insulation from our loft space in our circa 1760 house in Wiltshire. I have also hoovered all of the old chaff and straw out from the original thatch many moons ago.

Now, with a somewhat clean attic to work on the plan is this:

Insulate.
Board.
Use.

Simple plan but will it be simple to do? I'd like to have a small workstation up there in which to build models truth be known (I think she would rather me up there out of the way too!)

We got given two packs of Superglass insulation to use. 90mm thickness, 12sq/m per pack. Ideally I would like to lay this between the rafters and then lay (is it available even?) timber backed insulation board over the top of the rafters at 90deg thus topping up the insulation and offering a floor to use.

Is this simple plan, simply possible? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I would ask first of all, how deep are your joists ? In a house of that age I can imagine either very thick or rather spindly.

Storage at the very least, does a hobby room fall into the "habitable space" bracket?

Sponsored Links
id guess so, your only "allowed" to use it for storage without regs

but i wont tell them

Purely from reading on here, it seems that a permanent staircase is the clincher. If you have that then a raft of regulations follow ( detailed many times on here )

If you are using some kind of ladder, i'm sure that , in practice , you can do what you like up there, but you risk damage - or worse - to the ceiling if the joists are too thin and you put too much weight/load on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back