Loft Insulation - Foil Bubble / heat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this year I installed the foil bubble insulation in my loft. I went from the roof pitch down half way before letting the sides just drape to the floor to leave sufficient "dirty" storage behind and also allow the airflow around the loft so condensation didn't form. I didn't seal all the joins as I didn't want it fully airtight and also I lift the draped areas to get to the "dirty" storage, although I have created overlaps of about 6" to keep it fairly closed.

My intention was to create a "clean" and also warmer (in winter) storage area in the middle for more valuable storage items like books that I don't want getting cold and dirty.

Having had a few hot days weather in the UK this week I ventured into the loft to see how the temp was as I understood the foil would also keep the loft cooler in summer, however it felt very warm up there, just as warm as the "dirty" area although the "dirty" area seems to cool down quicker than the "clean" area once the sun has gone down.

Can anyone offer any advise as to why its not staying cool? I assume all the gaps are letting hot air through. How would I best seal this more to keep it cooler but still maintain the access behind the drapes?

Should I also be looking at some form of ventilation into the "clean" area? Maybe a loft window?

Also if I do this then are there building regs that need to be considered?

I could simply open the loft hatch to ensure the hot air can get out?

Thks
M.

Sponsored Links
I haven't done a loft conversion.. Its not been made habitable. Just better for storage..

Would you not be better off buying a decent shed, and putting your treasured books in there, on decent shelving?

And keep your loft for the crap you'll never need again, like most of us do anyway.

Sponsored Links
It takes much effort and diligence to achieve what is needed (thermally) in order to make a loft habitable. You are not going to scratch the surface with foil whatever and tape. It will just be a token gesture. As Freddie has said - more effort needed.

Back