Loft Insulation Grant Query

L

leeweedon

I'm boarding and insulation my loft. The current stuff is only around 10cm think.

I've read about varies grants and my area qualifies....

How do I go about getting a grant to insulation my loft, but fit it myself?

Really I'm just looking to see if I can get the rolls of insulation cheaper than paying shelf price.

Lee

Sponsored Links
I think these days that grants have finished unless you're on some type of benefit and I don't think you can fit it yourself anyway.

To be honest, if you look around you may be able to find a good deal for top-up insulation.

Generally to get grants it has to be installed by an insulation company.

The DIY sheds often have loft insulation at very cheap prices as it is subsidised by the utility companies.

Sponsored Links
Some areas will fit loft insulation for free...for anyone...
Might be worth a call to the Energy Saving trust to ask for advice...

I could have had Cavity Wall done for free in house I bought (I'm just a home owner - not old or on benefits etc) ...but it had already been done (surveyor missed it for EPC)

Only problem - your loft will have to be completely empty - you can't do it in areas and move stuff around - they will just put it over whatever is there - won't clean up any dirt etc - (apparently have been know to put insulation over a box of Christmas decorations - the last box, next to the hatch someone forgot to move for their elderly mother!) - and it will all over loft roll to 270mm - so you can't have any storage in there ...don't know what the score would be if you had already fitted loft legs/raised the joists????

If you can get it for free - you could get them to do it and then you go and roll it up in areas and use it how you want to - but that will be messier and bulkier than unrolling new packets ...will restrict your moving space...and you won't be able to see the joists... make it a harder job.
I know - I have been doing this - the house I bought had had this done (original loose fill and two types of roll - guess topped up as depth requirement had increased) - I'm trying to make just central boarded area...sometimes wish I could just get rid of it and start again - but actually getting rid of it would be a nightmare too.
(I'm also finding bits of old kitchen unit must have used as flooring at some point but now randomly hidden between the layers - put foot on where joist should be and it was the corner of one, it tipped up and I nearly went over :eek: )

The stuff in the sheds is subsidised and they often have special offers (3 for 2) - so might be worth watching out for them -
Wickes used to be cheapest when I did attic in present house - compare the sizes...roll length and width. I found the B&Q roll was slightly smaller than the similar Wickes one -
Found this in board underlay too- seemed same spec etc - B&Q cheaper per packet - then realised it covered less area (contained 19 rather than 20 boards)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back