Loft insulation it two weeks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We are having our loft insulated in two weeks time by an energy company. We need to lift and remove all floor boards, what is the best way to do this ?

Also there is a white chip board running round the edge of the loft with battens running vertically down (I will attach pics) is it ok to remove these or are they supporting the beam which supports the roof ?

Any help will be much appreciated !

Cameron

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's chipboard. It looks like a very substantial piece of timber that is part of the roof construction and I think I can see woodgrain on it.

The legs are not substantial enough to hold it up, I think there might have been an attic room of some kind, and there might have been shelving or something. The ceiling below is old L&P and the floorboards re very old, at about the size of the attic room I envisage.

BTW those copper pipes need to be well-insulated. The loft space is going to get very cold.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply!

Ah sorry for the confusion the white chipboard covers up the little battens under the large timber joist. The joist does go into the wall quite a bit (Im say joist but its just a large part of timber !) Any way it runs all the way round the loft space which is making me think its supporting the roof in some way ?

Also just out of interest does it add much value to your house having a floor boarded loft ? Just it would be easier to lift and throw them out instead of relaying them.

Cheers

do you mean the soft white fibreboard under the tiles? I can't see any other white boards in your pics. That's just an attempt at insulating, it has been painted white probably to make the attic room more pleasant. You can pull it off.

the floorboards will not fit back after the loft has been insulated, the new quilt will be about ten inches thick so it will swamp the timbers.

Sponsored Links
Hi John thanks for the reply!

I have attached the a pic with some info below to help explain things further.

So basically the beams the white board was attached to, can I go ahead and remove this or have I got to worry about the large brown beam that runs round the loft which seems to have joist coming off it as per pictures.

Please forgive my typos done on my phone.

Regards,

Cameron

the little upright battens and the soft fibreboard can be removed. The large timbers can't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back