Loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a retired carpenter/site manager I've known a bit about insulation in a roof but I've been retired 10 years, things move on and I no longer have any contacts in the trade.
In a weak moment I agreed to have a survey done of my roof. The salesman, who insisted he wasn't a salesman, but pulled every sales trick in the book to get me to sign up, made a few points which I would like an opinion on.
He was selling spray insulation between the rafters to create what we used to call a warm roof. He said that the building regs had changed and this is what was being used in all houses now. Is that true?
He rubbished fibre glass because it takes up moisture and will draw heat up from below. That was never mentioned in my day when we were putting a foot of fibre glass in roofs.
I have no quarrel with the product but my roof has a good layer of insulation at joists level
so what do you think the advantage would be to have the rafters done and the crucial question how much would you expect to pay.

Sponsored Links
It gets me very upset when I see this being marketed in lobby of the DIY sheds.

No advantage whatsoever. And no price is cheap enough. DO NOT DO IT.

In addition to above comments, I have seen houses that have used spray insulation as being difficult to sell.
You cannot check the rafters for rot, the foam is stuck on all the slate tiles so nightmare for surveyor to check for issues, and difficult for future roofers to fix.

Also, standard loft insulation is cheap and effective:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=loft+insulation

SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you all. Looks like I stirred you up a bit!
There was no chance of me signing up on the spot but I wasn't 100% sure what the situation was as I did do a few warm roofs using a sheet material and I think they made a good job and wouldn't have had the issues you indicate.
I agree with everything you said so thanks for that. The next time I'm tempted by this sort of harassment I'll give myself a good talking to.

I doubt whether the principles of thermal insulation etc in houses have changed that much since you were a site manager 10 years ago (y)

No I don't think the rules have changed. Prevent any warm air from entering the roof space and ensure adequate ventilation across the space. Do that and you won't go far wrong.

No I don't think the rules have changed. Prevent any warm air from entering the roof space and ensure adequate ventilation across the space. Do that and you won't go far wrong.
- and about 300mm of mineral wool quilt insulation at joist level of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back