loft knee wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the right thing

I have a wooden framework sandwiching chipboard that runs along the attic, which as far as i can tell is called a knee wall

my question is whats the best way to gain access to the other side?

is this wall load bearing in any way?

i was thinking of leaving the framework and just cutting a panel of the chipboard out

Sponsored Links
Chipboard, defo not plywood? If so then it could be a box beam (structural), so chopping into it could be a very bad idea.

Sponsored Links
looks like ply to me,drill a hole(tank cutter)through a piece and see whats on the other side.

Looks serious, all that brown stuff could be glue or resin, it's got framework fixed both sides, and appears to be supporting some joists, via hangers.

Out of interest what do you need to access the other side for? If it's for insulation you could always poke it down with a stick through the gap at the top or do you need to physically get yourself the other side?
If you do need to get the other side then I would think you would be ok to cut a hole in it but make sure to glue and screw ply back in place.

my plasterer came and over boarded and skimmed the bathroom ceiling below before i had finished the wiring for the lights, i wasn't expecting him so he wasn't to know, i also have some "frames" to lift the insulation above the lights

In that case it seems you have little choice but to cut a hole.
Personally I'd cut a circular hole in the ply keeping it as far away from the timbers as possible while still allowing you to squeeze your body through. Afterwards I'd then replace the cut out piece into the hole with another piece of ply (or one both sides if you can) glued and screwed onto the face of cut out and surrounding .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back