shelving above stairwell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure whether this belongs in this section, or the building one.....

I'm considering utilising the dead space at the top of the stairwell & installing some shelving. This would be accessible from the two rooms either side of the staircase, not from the stairs.

Both the walls are stud walls, & as far as I can tell, there is no wiring in the relevant areas. There is already a floor to ceiling cupboard in one of the rooms, which is above the bottom of the stairs.

Basically, it would involve cutting two identical holes in both walls, & building a framework across the stairwell to support the shelving. There would be a divider as necessary, so the two rooms would have a proportion of the shelving depth.

There are several things that concern me, other than my actual diy capabilities!

Is it a good idea in the first place? I know you would need to ensure there's sufficient headheight clearance, but there may be some fundamental things that haven't occurred to me. Anybody who has done something similar can hopefully highlight the potential pitfalls, or maybe just say leave it to the professionals!

As these are stud/plasterboard walls, they are not supporting walls. However, I recall seeing something on one of those tv programmes suggesting they could actually be providing some limited support. I'm not sure whether to put any store by this.

Once the holes are cut in the wall, I'm assuming a framework needs building into the wall cavities flush with edges, so there would be no gaps visible. This would presumably need the same size timber as the existing studwork. I'm also concerned how the position of the existing studwork could complicate matters.

The supports that would span across obviously need to be strong enough not to sag, but other than choosing some ridiculously oversize timber, I don't really know which size to choose. 50mm square 'seems' about right, but that's not very scientific! How to attach the supports to each wall is also a concern. I'm thinking that there needs to be another support along the walls, alongside the framework between the plasterboards.

Please feel free to tell me I don't appear to have a clue how to go about this. I'd rather know that I need to pay for it doing properly than make a pig's ear of it! ;)

Sponsored Links
my 2 p worth.

I disagree on health and saftey, yes its your house, but accidents do happen

yes its using "dead space"

yes you cant access shelves from stairs

now look at this

why do you suppose its not common to have shelves in stair wells

what if something falls from shelf

what if some thinks "oh yes i can get that from the shelf" too late, oh no you cant

what if some one puts something too heavy on shelf

what if something over balances from shelf

what if you want to bring in say new bed will shelves be in way?

back to front cupboards (access from rooms only thats a different matter)

Sponsored Links
but if we lived in the world of what ifs we would never get out of bed in the morning! (but what if i stay in bed and a plane crashes through the roof, if i got up it would miss me.....ooohhh the eternal quandry!!!) ;)

glad I don't live near a flight path, I'd be really worried tomorrow morning.

Thermo, you miss my point,

let me put it this way.

How many houses do you know that have shelves on the stairs? how many are designed with shelves on the stairs?

none, because some one will have an accident.

the best way to prevent an accident is to remove the cause

breezer, i dont miss your point at all old chap, and i do understand the issues you raise. Having said all that, if a grown adult decides to do it based on whatever advice is given, then they take the decision on themselves. You cant save all the people all the time!

by the way breezer the house i grew up in had a shelf along it. it was level with the top of the landing and as the stairs went down it obviously got higher. It was about 3 inches wide and had little knick knacks on it. Me and my 3 brothers used to walk along it and then climb over the banister to the next landing above it! great fun but er dangerous!

please see 10a ;)

Some interesting comments - thanks!

As I said, the shelves would not be accessible from the stairs, so nothing could fall off them onto somebody's head.....unless the whole thing fell down :eek:

Still trying to sort out some photos.....

white_tiger said:
I'm considering utilising the dead space at the top of the stairwell & installing some shelving. This would be accessible from the two rooms either side of the staircase, not from the stairs.
Amazing how much discussion can be created from not reading the initial post :D :D
My son is considering the same thing and I have put him off with "It'll make the stairwell even darker" and "You'll never get your bed down the stairs again."
In his house the space above the stairs is built-in wardrobe. Was that kept to its current width to avoid making the stairwell too dark, the access too tight, or to keep costs down? OR just maybe there is some kind of regulation involved - wouldn't you be amazed if there isn't?

masona said:
Any chance of a photo?

Hope this works:
staircase36hi.jpg

The 2 walls either side are plasterboard - the distance between them is about 84cm.

Yes, the carpet is ghastly :LOL:

Pretty straight forward, remove plasterboard section of the storage space you need so you can see where the upright studs are. 100mmx50mm support across the stairwell, nut/bolt with timber dog connector to the upright studs and under the timber support put another upright stud under the support which you will have put across with screws. Joist hanger between the 2 support for floor joists, plywood on the floor area and now you have a floor area to work off to build framework on top of the floor.

make sure you put in anchor points at the top of the stairs for you safety harness and ropes or breezer will be after you! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back