Loft ladder and boarding with thick insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've read a few different articles but with mixed info that isn't always relevant to my situation.

We have a newish house with thick insulation in the loft, so thick that it is above the top of the joists which I would normally lay floorboards onto. I want to store some lightweight stuff (Xmas tree, clothes etc), but will also need to be able to walk on it to get to the furthest parts - although there is a plank down the centre already which would serve as a walkway if it was the strongest bit.

I know I can't squash the insulation without changing its performance, so what i need is to lay a raised floor. Or, replace the insulation with something thinner but of equal performance.

Options I'm aware of:

1. lay additional joists along top of the existing ones, glued and screwed, and then board on top.
2. lay additional joists perpendicularly on top of the existing ones.
3. use purpose-designed legs to raise the floor level.

Something I've wondered myself is, I could fix batons between the rafters at the required height and lay the floor on those. My non-engineering brain says that might provide extra strength if done well, but I've not seen it suggested elsewhere so assume it must be a bad idea.

The other thing I'd like to do is fit a loft ladder. But with the floor in the loft needing to be raised I'm worried that a fitted ladder won't work. Should I just sacrifice some insulation where the ladder is fitted, and lay a floor on the existing joists? Or, should I look at alternatives like a telescopic ladder stowed somewhere easily accessible with a pole from the floor below?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back