Loft ladder banging the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I installed a 3 section spring assisted loft ladder some time ago from b&q (branded Mac allister, but basically an abru one)

Recently I've noticed when stowing away in loft with the pole, it really bangs down on the ceiling (in fact it's cracking the plaster)

There doesn't seem to be anything to adjust in the spring unit. Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm thinking of maybe making a buffer device to absorb the impact of the ladder being stowed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Did you fit the “V” shaped retaining bracket? On my new house I had to do away with the bracket due to the insulation layer and nowhere suitable to secure it. This made it noticeably more difficult to put the ladder away as it can move side to side etc.

That said you should still be able to stow it away with a level of care to prevent banging. I did put a length of wood in the loft to allow the ladder to rest on it to help prevent the insulation being squashed.

Just put some old carpet up there or insulation to absorb the shock. Very surprised it is cracking the plaster

Don't recall a V retaining bracket coming with it.

The ladder is attached to the beams that go in between the loft joists, as part of the loft hatch. That is where the ladder banging from being stowed is cracking the plaster underneath.

I think like you said, I'll need to think of someway to dampen it.

Sponsored Links
I fixed it (sort of)

Hard to explain, but it involved squashing the bracket at the end of the spring loaded arm attached to the top of the ladder, to provide more of a 'hard stop'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back