Square dark patch on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've recently moved in to a 10 yr old house and about to decorate our sons room but I need to fix a few problems with the ceiling.

The most annoying one is a big aprx. 500mm square patch which is darker than the rest of the ceiling - its not black and in fact looks just like a shadow but its not. I ran my fingers through it to see if it was wet (it wasnt) and it left clear white marks almost as if it was dust or soot. Cleaning that before painting is not a problem, i'm just consious of the cause and what it is. Someone told me once about various problems you can get with not enough loft insulation so I checked and this patch is right under the tank in the loft. Sure enough, there is a square patch about the same size under the tank where they didnt bother to put any insulation at all.... I assume there should be some there.

I cant quite see under the tank, is there likely to be anything there like water or mould or can I just put some insulation in there? What do you think that black stuff is on the ceiling?

Secondly there is a crack about 400mm long and there are no signs of a matching mark or crack on the loft side. I assume impact can occur from the loft but only be visible from the ceiling in the bedroom? Maybe they dropped something when moving.. Anyway, I was just going to get a bit of wood, put it above the crack in the loft and screw in to it from the ceiling, then do what I can to hide it. Is that the best thing to do?

Lastly, is there anything I can do to hide the screw head marks before I paint the ceiling? A lot of them are quite noticable, slightly raised with some of them looking like the plaster around the screw head is going to fall out.

Would really appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers,
Dan.

Sponsored Links
You have to leave under the tank clear as the tiny amount of heat going up stops the tank from freezing in winter. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back