Loft Ladder Clearance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please could someone offer some advice regarding loft ladder and required clearance. I am looking at an Abru 3 Section from B&Q http://www.diy.com/departments/abru-3-section-sliding-loft-ladder-3m/30368_BQ.prd and the specs says minimal clearance required arc in loft is 710mm.

Does anyone know from where the 710mm arc is measured, is it point 1 or point 2 on the diagram below?

If its is point 2 I am fine. If it is point 1 then I may have a problem but I cannot see anywhere were it states how far point 2 is from point 1.

Does anyone have any experience with these ladders and can offer any guidance?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The arc is measured from point 2

To be safe, I would assume that the clearance is required 1270 from the hatch lip.

Thank you Newboy.

This is my problem, if I run an arc of 1270 from the hatch I hit the rafter. My only way to avoid this would be changing the direction of the steps which would result in them facing the stairs which would be dangerous if anyone was to ever fall.

I think with 710 clearance from hatch I will be fine so you have given me confidence to order to ladder.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I suspect that I may have meant point 1 - not sure how I misread the schematic - I'd double check before you order.

Mark the point in the loft and measure several times.

Apologies for the error

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back