Loft Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have just put two strip lights in my loft and connected to the juction box for the lights in the room below it has four terminals live,nuetral,the loop and the earth i have connected to the live and nuetral this works fine but you have to turn the switch on in the spare room to turn them on if i wanted to have a seperate switch how would i do this any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi i have just put two strip lights in my loft and connected to the juction box for the lights in the room below it has four terminals live,nuetral,the loop and the earth i have connected to the live and nuetral this works fine but you have to turn the switch on in the spare room to turn them on if i wanted to have a seperate switch how would i do this any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like yo have connected to switched live not permanent live?

You need to connect to a permanent live via a single pole switch which you could site at the entrance to the loft maybe.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts

ok thanks so if i ran a cable from the juction box to the light connecting blue to the neutral and brown to the loop in the juction box then run a cable from the switch to the light connect the brown to the live then connect the blue from the switch to the brown from the juction box with a connector strip and the blue from the juction box to the nuetral on the light is that correct

Sponsored Links
ok thanks so if i ran a cable from the juction box to the light connecting blue to the neutral and brown to the loop in the juction box then run a cable from the switch to the light connect the brown to the live then connect the blue from the switch to the brown from the juction box with a connector strip and the blue from the juction box to the nuetral on the light is that correct

Yes that is correct. Don't forget to brown sleeve/brown tape any blue wires used for switched lives.

Just to be sure

1) run 1.5mm t&e from junction box to light rose.
2) at the rose connect blue to the neutral side of the light drop (N-loop in)
3) at the rose connect brown to the L-loop-in
4) at the junction box connect brown to L-loop-in
5) at the junction box connect blue to N-loop-in
6) now run a 1.5 t&e from the new switch to the rose
7) at the rose connect brown to L-loop-in (along with the brown in step 3)
8.) at the rose connect blue (sleeved brown) to the switched live terminal ( where it will connect to the brown drop to the bulb holder)
9) at the new switch connect brown to common
10) at the new switch connect blue (sleeved brown) to L1

Done

Just to be sure

1) run 1.5mm t&e from junction box to light rose.
2) at the rose connect blue to the neutral side of the light drop (N-loop in)
3) at the rose connect brown to the L-loop-in
4) at the junction box connect brown to L-loop-in
5) at the junction box connect blue to N-loop-in
6) now run a 1.5 t&e from the new switch to the rose
7) at the rose connect brown to L-loop-in (along with the brown in step 3)
8.) at the rose connect blue (sleeved brown) to the switched live terminal ( where it will connect to the brown drop to the bulb holder)
9) at the new switch connect brown to common
10) at the new switch connect blue (sleeved brown) to L1

Done

Not quite
also make sure that the cpc (earth) conductor is properly sleeved and connected at the rose, junction box, switch and light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back