Bathroom Extractor Fan Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have just replaced my bathroom extractor fan and have switched from a unit with a timer to one without. Both are Wickes products.
The old fan had three wires running to it - Live, Nuetral and Switched Live.
As the new fan has no timer, I have connected the Switched Live and Nuetral, leaving the Live disconnected, but trimmed so that the shielding covers the previously exposed tip.
All seems well, with the fan now coming on and going off when you turn the light on and off as hoped, but is it okay for that Live wire to be left not connected to anything?
Thanks in advance for your help :D

Sponsored Links
You should put the wire into a connector or crimp so it is terminated safely. Anyone following you could assume a wire is dead because it is not connected anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Its safe not being connected to the fan though?

Sure, where would you connect it? Think about it:

Neutral - no - the fuse would blow
Earth - - no - the fuse would blow
Switched live - no - the fan would run all the time and the bathroom light would always be on.

Just put that live conductor in a bit of terminal block. thay way the next owner of the house can put a timer fan back in..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back