loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone give me a diagram showing how to wire up a light in my loft? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power to the circuit you are working on and test that it is dead.
Find the nearest ceiling rose to where you want to place the lamp.
At the ceiling rose run 1mm2 T&E from the live loop, the neutral loop and earth loop to a single gang switch. At the switch place the live conductor in Common - place the neutral conductor in a terminal block and the same for the earth unless there is an earth lug available.
From the switch run 1mm2 T&E to the lamp. At the switch connect the live conductor into L1 - the neutral into the neutral terminal block and the earth into the earth terminal/lug.

At the lamp put the live to the live terminal, the neutral to the neutral terminal and the earth to the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
A junction box in the circuit cable leading to the rose may be easier.

If it is easier you could come off a socket circuit and use a switched fuse spur to operate. All depends on what will cause less disruption or preference.

not that many "socket circuits" are in a loft. just follow Riveralts advice

Depends on where the switch is going for the loft. If it going in the hall it might be just as easy to tap off a socket in the hall! As said it depends what the OP is after.

why add an unnecessary junction box to the installation?, take it from the rose

Easier connections.
May be shorter cable (Us DIYers tend to have odd bits of cable rather than a lovely roll.)
There may be a cable convenient to the loft hatch, and then a deep socket box could be used to contain all the connections including the switch plate.

Domgen, if you are going to do a job do it properly and professionally.
You don't use junctions boxes unless you absolutely have to, especially in lofts where there is insulation. There use simply creates another potential high resistance area where a fault could occur.
Your plan to utilise a ceiling rose is the simplest approach to take - do not use a socket spur unless you absolutely have to. You will probably have to chase out or make holes in your plasterboard to achieve this.
If there are issues regarding location of the switch you can always use a pull switch instead of a wall plate switch.

Hi
Can anyone give me a diagram showing how to wire up a light in my loft? :confused:
Work your way through these:

You're asking that question not because you don't have a diagram, but because you don't understand what to do - if you did you would have no need of a diagram.

Doing electrical work without a genuine understanding, i.e. just replicating a diagram without knowing why is a bad idea. Diagrams are great ways to explain things, and to learn from them is fine, but if you find yourself needing to refer to one for something as trivial as adding a light then you don't actually know enough.

Riveralt, soon to do a similar job myself:

At the switch place the live conductor in Common - place the neutral conductor in a terminal block and the same for the earth unless there is an earth lug available.

Do you mean put the neutral into a choc-box??

Kind Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back