Loft Power Sockets and Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I want to add power sockets and light to my loft, i currently have a spur in the loft and and wanted to know if its best to add another spur and add the sockets from there? does anyone have a diagram or detailed description of the best way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's an unfused spur you must not add any more sockets to it. Replace it with a fused connection unit, or insert one before it, and supply all the sockets and lights from that.

You'll need another FCU for the lights, with a 3 or 5A fuse in it.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:books

Thanks for the reply, it is an unfused spur.
I just want clarify and get all instructions correct before buying and installing.

So.....Turn off electric... find the spur in the loft and add a fused spur into the connection along the cable before it enters the current spur then add sockets from there creating a ring back to the fused spur?

Thanks

So.....Turn off electric...
And then verify the circuit is dead with a 2-pole tester.

find the spur in the loft and add a fused spur into the connection along the cable before it enters the current spur then add sockets from there
Yup.

creating a ring back to the fused spur?
No - don't create a ring.

And unless you have, or can borrow or hire, an insulation tester, continuity tester and fault loop tester you should get an electrician to check your work over.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, it is an unfused spur.
I just want clarify and get all instructions correct before buying and installing.

So.....Turn off electric... find the spur in the loft and add a fused spur into the connection along the cable before it enters the current spur then add sockets from there creating a ring back to the fused spur?

Thanks
I do hope your competence is better than your description of what you intend to do.
Work safe and isolate the power first and verify that it is isolated.
Firstly you need to check that this is indeed a spur from the assumed ring final circuit and NOT a spur from a spur.
Once you have established that is the only spur check the size of the cable, it should be 2.5mm2 T&E, then replace the current socket with a 13Amp fused connection Unit.
From this run 2.5mm2 T&E to your next socket and so one.
You should not form a ring in the loft - it should be a radial.
At some stage in the radial interupt the cable with another 3 Amp fused connection unit by looping in and out of the supply side and running 1mm2 T&E up to a switch and then onto the lamp. Remember you will be providing L/N/E to the switch so you know what to do there don't you.
There is an alterative of using a switched FCU instead and then running 1mm2 T&E direct to the lamp.
Don't forget to test the circuits for compliance with the required parameters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back