loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... guys - as I'm going to be doing a lot of work on the upstairs lights circuit as per plugwash's reco' I was going to "semi permenantly" wire a simple lighting rose up in the loft with 1.0 mm lighting cable to a plug (with 3 amp fuse) and plu it in my loft socket for use when I have the upstairs lights circuit isolated while I'm working.

Thought this may be useful for any future work which may need doing with lighting circuit off cos it's costing me a fortune in batteries!

Would this be OK or would I too have to stick a separate fused spur in?

Sponsored Links
you would be better off running in a spur via a switched FCU, that way it will always be there, and you shouldn't put a plug on 1mm T & E as EVENTULAY it will break, T & E is for fixed wiring

Why not buy a portable work light, with plug attached. That way there's no issue about FCU's, using T & E or siting of the lamp itself. You can buy them with stands, with hooks, with clamps. A much more versatile solution until you get the permanent lighting in, surely? (And not too expensive either)

Sponsored Links
Why not use flex into the plug top and grommet/gland it into the light fitting. Fit 3A fuse if doing so.

i wouldnt recomend as dingbat suggests for a loft, they are very directional and too bright, not to mention heat.(great for garage)

I would wire a floourescent in permanently, only has to be done once, unlike trailing light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back