Loft Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've Currently got a Florescent Light in our Loft, with the switch downstairs in the Airing Cupboard. How would i go about adding another florescent light in the loft ? It can come on the same time as the current one.

Thanks in Advance,

Tom

Sponsored Links
how does the existing cable enter the existing fluorescent fitting. is it direct from the switch or is there a junction box, are there any grommets on the cable entry? Are you sure that the earth is continuous to the fuse board?

Hi All,

I've Currently got a Florescent Light in our Loft, with the switch downstairs in the Airing Cupboard. How would i go about adding another florescent light in the loft ? It can come on the same time as the current one.

Thanks in Advance,

Tom

you could take another live , neutral and earth from the existing fitting to the new fitting , or if there is a junction box prior to the existing fitting then take the live , neutral and earth from the junction box to the new light..

how does the existing cable enter the existing fluorescent fitting. is it direct from the switch or is there a junction box, are there any grommets on the cable entry? Are you sure that the earth is continuous to the fuse board?

The Light is wired to the Upstairs Lighting Circuit, The Cable is from a junction box, No visable grommets on the cable entry.

Sponsored Links
take a live, neutral and earth from the junction box, making sure you terminate in the switch live, if there is one, direct to the the new fitting, fluorescent cable entries often need grommets around the metal aperture so that the cable does not touch the metal and damage the cable. What about earth continuity?

The Light is wired to the Upstairs Lighting Circuit, The Cable is from a junction box, No visable grommets on the cable entry.

OK so you could run a cable from the junction box to the new light...

a grommet is used to protect the cable from catching on the side of the hole as it enters the fitting...sometimes you will see stuffing glands used if the light is wired with a flex...

OK so you could run a cable from the junction box to the new light...

a grommet is used to protect the cable from catching on the side of the hole as it enters the fitting...sometimes you will see stuffing glands used if the light is wired with a flex...

Thanks....SSE fitted the current Florescent Light, Both ends of the fixture are rubber, and they have pierced a whole through there for the cable entry.

Could you tell what the difference is between running from the junction box or running from the exsisting fixture is ?

Thanks for your help, so i'm best running a live, nuetral and earth from the junction box to the new fixture ?

the difference would be that the existing fitting would have 1 cable in and 1 cable out to the new light which would be fine or if you come from the junction box then each light would have just the 1 cable...

Could you tell what the difference is between running from the junction box or running from the exsisting fixture is ?

Thanks for your help, so i'm best running a live, nuetral and earth from the junction box to the new fixture ?
No, if you are going to run the two lights from one switch then if you do use the junction box you need to connect to the switch live, neutral and earth. If you connect to the live, neutral and earth then the second light will be on permanently.

i'm very compitent in electrics and know what to do,
FFS. :rolleyes:

i'm very compitent in electrics and know what to do,
FFS. :rolleyes:

"Ban-All-Shed's" you are clearly one of these useless waste people's time kinda person. Unless your going to contribute, and help people, because funnily enough last time i checked this was a forum. If not then do everyone they helpful honour of FO !!

I think Ban is linking those three statements and getting the result = ?

"Ban-All-Shed's" you are clearly one of these useless waste people's time kinda person. Unless your going to contribute, and help people, because funnily enough last time i checked this was a forum. If not then do everyone they helpful honour of FO !!
I think you'll find that I provided a lot of help in your other topic.

IMO the thing that would be of most help to you would be for you to stop thinking that you are very competent in electrics and know what to do, and adjust your plans and embark on some learning accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back