Loft room - Hot in summer and cold in winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have bought a house which had the loft 'converted' in the 1980's to a room. It didn't have building regs and the previous owner didn't use it as a habitable room, more of storage room and study at times.

The house has a centre wall which goes down to the foundations and the floor joists sit and overlap this, front to back. The staircase is not high enough to pass building regs and to be fair, we don't plan to use it as a habitable room as such but I would like to use it as a home office when I work from home.

There is minimal insulation over the rafters, its basically 10mm polystyrene sheets which have then been wallpapered over so it looks ok but clearly useless for insulation meaning its sweltering in the summer and freezing in the winter. There is a single skylight but opening it does little in the summer.

I don't need or want building regs spec but I would like to insulate it better so I am thinking of getting 50mm PIR between the rafters (rafters are 100mm so need 50mm air gap) and then just plasterboarding over the top.

Would this do enough to help insulation enough to use the space in summer/winter? I could add insulated board on top but I am conscious of not losing too much space up there.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Hi, only a DIY'er, so others may have more appropriate suggestions :)

But playing devils advocate, the building regs for a loft room are not just about insulation requirements.
Most of the regs are about making sure there is a safe way out in the event of a fire.
So, even if you can't make the door height comply and do not intend to involve building control - it is still worth seriously considering upgrading your safe exit route, interlinked alarms etc.
After all, a home office would still be classed as a habitable space by building control.

Other than that, it may be worth checking your ventilation. A modern conversion would possibly have soffit/over fascia vents and ridge vents to allow cross ventilation, over the top of the insulation.
What type of material is your roofing felt?

Insulated plasterboard over the top of the rafters would also help reduce cold bridging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back