Loft supply from immersion heater circuit (split thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I've been reading with interest the posts here because I want to run a socket for a network switch and an old computer to my loft.
My immersion heater and central heating pump are arranged per photo. Immersion heater on the right has a 13 amp fuse and CH pump has a 3 amp.
However, at the CU the immersion heater breaker is 15 amp.
Is this right or should I start worrying more than I am ?
Sorry to jump in like this.
ATB,Nelly

Sponsored Links
It's fine - although the fuse for the immersion isn't necessary.

The pump will likely be less than 1A.

You shouldn't run anything else on the circuit.

Just realised -

You say the CH pump.
Does that mean that the whole CH system is run from that switched FCU?

If so, THAT would NOT be a problem.

However, if ONLY the pump is supplied by this and the boiler and other things supplied from elsewhere then that could lead to a problem.

OR - do you mean a pump installed because of low water pressure?

5649269101_0553c87bab_n.jpg

My immersion and central heating system has a similar setup, the immersion has a 13amp fuse (B16 Radial), whilst the CH has a 3amp fuse (B32 Ring).

Perhaps he means a setup similar to mine???

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies fellas.
I'll have a good look at everything tomorrow.
But what I do know is the boiler is downstairs in the kitchen.
The Immersion heater and pump are upstairs in the airing cupboard.
The pump is a Grundfos UPS which are "designed for circulation of liquids in heating and air-conditioning systems"
It's beginning to not look good.
Troubled sleep tonight.:(

OK, so you have been asked to install a circuit to support the following loads:

3000W
200W
200W

You wouldn't regard a 15A circuit as a suitable option?

You might well be right, but we need to know the load of the switch and PC to be sure.

If you follow advice from the OSG, an immersion heater should have its own dedicated circuit.

I do appreciate however, that a 13A IH + 3A CH = 16A.

That advice is a shortened over-simplified version of the advice in the Wiring Regulation on how to avoid overloading ring finals.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with designing a radial circuit to supply any mix of loads and load types you like, as long as you are OK for Ib ≤ In ≤ Iz, voltage drop, R1+R2 etc.

OK, so you have been asked to install a circuit to support the following loads:
3000W
200W
200W
You wouldn't regard a 15A circuit as a suitable option?
You might well be right, but we need to know the load of the switch and PC to be sure.
That would obviously be alright.

I was referring to OP's addition of a socket, albeit initially for a small load.

ΔIb might make that circuit unsuitable, but that would be because Ib > Iz, not because there's anything special about one of the loads being an immersion heater or because it's a socket being added.

If there was a generic concern that the potential load from sockets might exceed the rating of the protective device then you could never have socket circuits with more than a few outlets and never have fused spurs with more than one outlet, and we know that neither is true.

There is obviously nothing wrong with a properly designed circuit running whatever is required.

However, whilst it is recommended, albeit not in the actual regulations, that immersion heaters not be connected to a 'socket circuit' it does seem somewhat illogical to advise a DIYer it would be acceptable to add a socket to a 16A immersion circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back