loft wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a loft conversion in my house(done before I moved in) and whilst redecorating it I decided to replace the plastic sockets with some brushed aluminium ones. I then noticed that some monkey has wired the five double sockets with 1.5mm cable on a single radial circuit to a 16amp mcb.
I know this is dodgy using 1.5mm cable but how dodgy is it I will probably want to run my computer, printer,portable telly a couple of side lights and occasionally the misses hair dryer on this circuit.
How safe is it?

Sponsored Links
I will if I must but it would be a right royal pain in the arse especially as its all just been newly decorated.

Silas

be even more of a pain explaining why your house caught fire

Sponsored Links
would the fuse protect the wiring if it was low enough...
say take out all the 13A fuses and replace with....3A?

is there a factor for how much probablility in using all the sockets to the full power at one time...etc.

:idea:

or....turn it into a ring main.....if possible..

Breezer totally agree on the fire front thats why I was asking.

How many amps can a 1.5mm cable safely carry as I will probably dowgrade the mcb and just not load the circuit too much its only a bedroom after all I can always leave the computer where it is.

silas said:
How many amps can a 1.5mm cable safely carry as I will probably dowgrade the mcb and just not load the circuit too much its only a bedroom after all I can always leave the computer where it is.
It can, in theory, be OK up to 16A, but there are a number of "it depends" at that value.

See here for all the gory details:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.1.htm

Or you could play safe and replace the MCB with a 10A one.

Cheers B-A-S sounds like that will be plenty for my needs
can I use I=P/V to work out the load or is there something else I should take into consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back