Log burner, Stud wall help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a log burner in my living room. There is an old fire place opening but it's behind a plaster board wall which is also battened with wood. I am confident where to find the opening but I don't think the wood and plaster board around the opening will be acceptable to any hetas engineer, also I don't want to burn my house down. I am hoping I don't have to pull the whole lot out as its messy and I would need an electrician and a plasterer to make good again. Any ideas!

Sponsored Links
I'd imagine once you've opened out the opening you would be required to line it with pink fibreboard and have that plastered, a hetas installer should be able to advise

Don’t line this with pink plasterboard and skim as this will not take the heat.

cement boards are used and can be tiled onto, or clap brick slips direct onto wall or cement boards.

150mm is required around the all 3 sides of the fire

Last edited:
I will look into the cement boards as I haven't seen them before. I've have also looked at stoves that can be put closer to combustable materials. Thinking I can strip the wall back around the opening then step it in from the plater board wall using possibly the cement board.

Sponsored Links
minimum distance is 150mm on all 3 sides to comply with part j and helps with air flow around the stove. perhaps a off-set in your flue to bring the stove forward to achieve the correct distance.

are You fitting yourself or hetas fitting?

Cement board can't be fixed on to wood , must be metal studs or direct on to masonry.
Single wall flue must also be 3 times it's diameter in any direction from any combustible material

The appature is stone it's just the wall to the front that is battened and boarded. I plan to strip the board and batten back and then step it in giving a good margin around the fireplace. I am hoping to clean up the stone work underneath the plaster board, otherwise I will have to tidy it up possibly with the cement boards.

My wall was pretty rough but pointed up ok if you like it in keeping with rest of the room

Attachments

• 3E4055A9-33F8-4E8B-ACD2-65C4B7C53A19.jpeg
    3E4055A9-33F8-4E8B-ACD2-65C4B7C53A19.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2781BE8A-C0CD-4D06-9366-D9C58B611A23.jpeg
    2781BE8A-C0CD-4D06-9366-D9C58B611A23.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 90

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back