Log burning stove installed in 2006

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
We have a log burning stove that was fitted into a grade II listed cottage at the end of 2006. It was installed by a friend of mine who is a city and guilds qualified builder. We are selling the house and have been asked for a certificate regarding the installation. As it was done by a friend there is no certificate as he was not qualified. There is the correct type of flue fitted to solid flue regulation at the time.

My question is, In 2006 were log burning stoves needed to be fitted by qualified installers or did this not begin in 2010 as I cannot find any regulations regarding this before 2010.

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
Stoves don't have to be installed by qualified installers; the installation has to be signed off by Building Control, and HETAS installers are able to provide a certificate. But there's nothing to stop you notifying Building Control and installing your own. After 11 years yours is unenforceable anyway, unless it's actually dangerous. I don't know what would be the best way forward in the case of your sale.

Contact a HETAS installer, explain the situation & they may say they can inspect & issue a certificate to say it conforms.

A HETAS certificate could be the least of your problems if you didn't get listed buildings consent for the installation. If you didn't get permission then their solicitor should be more concerned from that point of view as liability on that one will pass on to them.
But on the certificate side I would just tell them you don't have a certificate and it's up to them if they want to base the purchase of the property on a couple of thousand pounds worth of work. You could offer to get the installation checked over by a HETAS registered installer.
BC won't be interested now.

Sponsored Links
They'll probably insist on (another) indemnity insurance policy to cover it regardless that BC won't be interested now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back