Log cabin / habitable outbuilding options

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might need to provide shelter for my in-laws. We have space for a log cabin, which might be a better option than a loft conversion. Just wondering what the options are if we take this route.

I'll be applying for proper planning permission to build a self-contained cabin / outbuilding with mains water, drainage and electricity supplied. So, I assume if approved, then it does not need to be a log cabin, but I could apply for a block construction with insulated cavity, i.e. a proper place to live, just with relatively low roof / eaves etc?

This is the sort of size and room layout I'd be looking at (not as much glass as this)
1-bed-Timber-frame-buildings-1-bed-timber-frame-cabins-timber-frame-cabins-0688.jpg

this is 6m x 9m - I'll probably go for 5m by 8m though.
https://www.logcabinslv.co.uk/blog/2014/10/20/sunshine-holiday-lodge-6-0m-x-9-0m/

Sponsored Links
So, I assume if approved, then it does not need to be a log cabin, but I could apply for a block construction with insulated cavity, i.e. a proper place to live, just with relatively low roof / eaves etc?

You should build to what you have received approval for, including the materials. The LPA would not have any issue in relation to the main primary structure, e.g. timber or masonry but they would be more concerned as to the external materials.

You need to apply for construction of a habitable, noise and fire resisting building, not a log cabin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back