log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys ive gone and ordered me a nice log cabin and should arrive in the next 3-4 weeks ,ive got to supply the 2 by 3 joists on which it is to lye on (pressure treated ). these will lye on my slabs ... :D question is water and rot and how to keep at bay ,i was thinking of enclosing the joists in a long bag and sealing it up but just to leave a couple of holes in it to let them breath and sit the cabin on top ,would that be ok or is there a better way

Sponsored Links
no, that will rot even faster in there. Why not lay single courses of bricks in place of the joists for the cabin to sit on, and run dpc along the top?

sleeper walls, lie the joists across them.

A dwarf wall all round will keep your wood off the wet ground.

Sponsored Links
place joists on concrete piers so joists are at least a foot off ground, you will need a lot of air flow under the building . you can skirt it off if you don't like it open.
I would strongly advise weeping tile or something around building to carry away excess water as water will gather under building due to shade.
I have a large log cabin 35x60 in the bush by a lake and the ground gets so wet the piers sink allowing the ground to build up causing air flow to become restricted making the process repeat itself.
Also plants tight to the building are a no no!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back