Logic+ Combi 30 Hive Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently purchased Hive single channel receiver for my Logic Combi 30 boiler. I have it all setup correctly, green lights etc and I can control it from my phone.

However, although I can see the light on the receiver turning on and off as I adjust the temperature, it doesn’t actually switch off the heating at the boiler, it is just permanently on.

I have tried many different wiring configurations from this forum, which seem to have worked for other people, but not me. The photos attached show my current setup, which worked for somebody with the exact same boiler and wiring arrangement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• 64E348AC-EFFB-4A6C-B530-AC5CD72C1EFE.jpeg
    64E348AC-EFFB-4A6C-B530-AC5CD72C1EFE.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 0671F4EF-554D-4309-8748-95ED2209A2A5.jpeg
    0671F4EF-554D-4309-8748-95ED2209A2A5.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you mean it’s not turning the heating off at the boiler? Looks wired wrong to me.

Yes that’s what I meant sorry, I’ve edited my post.

This is just one of many configurations I have tried, including taking a separate live and neutral; all have had the same outcome, it won’t switch the heating off at the boiler.

If it ‘looks wrong’ do you know what the correct configuration is?

Your hive needs a permanent live and permanent neutral which are your brown and blue, then your 2 black wires on the left are switching wires, so 4 core cable would be required, taking one to common and the other to n/o.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have tried this setup and it is still the same, the heating is permanently on.

I am aware the wiring here is poor practice, but for testing purposes this is how I have done it.

Attachments

• A68ACB2C-21F4-4D5F-B80F-C43197748AFA.jpeg
    A68ACB2C-21F4-4D5F-B80F-C43197748AFA.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 8C6F9B08-B133-4849-A0FA-C4DD66FD1593.jpeg
    8C6F9B08-B133-4849-A0FA-C4DD66FD1593.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 29F563D2-36FD-4EEA-AAAB-1C271C93C874.jpeg
    29F563D2-36FD-4EEA-AAAB-1C271C93C874.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 185
Not sure what you have, but twin channel 3 and 4 are the output 1 and 2 are rarely used. Hive is class II so earth is parked in the odd terminal to right. Also even when correctly wired, Hive has a "heat on demand" system, so set to 12°C it will still fire the boiler when room at 19°C if the Hive TRV is set to 20°C.

If you have not damaged the Hive, your very lucky, wiring is not done by trial and error.

That is wrong on so many levels. Please stop this ad-hoc trial and error wiring at once before you cause some serious damage if you haven't already

If this is the blue wire that is connected to the Hive terminal 3, terminal 3 is LIVE from the Hive and you have put it in the incoming mains supply NEUTRAL terminal. :eek:

oops.jpeg

The incoming mains supply from the 3A spur to the boiler should go the the boiler N & L terminals

The same N & L should also go to the Hive N & L terminals

The two terminals on the far left marked roomstat/timer should go to Hive (single channel version) terminal (1) and (3) it doesn't matter which way around.

You do not need any links at the Hive

Hi Stem,

My last post with photos attached seems to meet the requirements that you explained, I have taken the L and N from the boiler to the L and N at hive. Then the two roomstat/timer ones to terminals 1 and 2.

this also hasn’t worked, so it must be damaged?

OK, I didn't see the last photos, as you posted them whilst I was writing my reply.

If you have created a short circuit at anytime, or blown a fuse then you may well have damaged something. This is how it should be connected. [Earth's omitted for clarity]

1.jpg

As far as I can tell it does seem to reflect your last attempt. This assumes that you have the correct Hive of course. (Single Channel)

Also, if you have had to open up a room sealed part of the boiler to get to the wiring terminals (with some Ideals you do) that shouldn't have been done DIY. It should only be done by an RGI GasSafe who can make the necessary checks to make sure that it's sealed up properly again afterwards.

Also you are using green / yellow wires (earth) and blue wires (neutral) as live wires. When this is done, they should at least have brown sleeves over them. And in the case of twin and earth wires, the earth should never be used as a live as it's not insulated.

Last edited:
Stem,

I have got a new receiver to try, but I just wanted to check something. When I did a continuity test, the live terminal on the boiler and the far left terminal of the roomstat terminals on the boiler where connected, is this correct? Obviously this was done whilst all power was switched off.

Yes that's correct, the boiler generates a live supply for the thermostat internally, that's why you don't need a link to the live at the Hive end.

There's a simple test you can do. Turn off the boiler and the power. Disconnect the wire from Hive (3) Heating ON, and isolate it safely. Turn on the power and boiler. Does the heating come on? If yes, the problem is with the boiler, if not, it's the Hive that's keeping it going.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks, the central heating still comes on when I remove the connection to terminal 3.

so I presume there isn’t much more I can do, I need to get an engineer to sort it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back