Logitech subwoofer annoying buzz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Logitech Soundman SR30 speaker system hooked up to my PC, it`s a simple 2.1 setup and if any theres any sound coming from the computer whether its a video i`m watching or listening to music I get an annoying buzzing sort of noise from the sub if theres any low frequency sound coming from it and I can hear it if theres only the slightest bit of bass.

It was a good sounding system with clear bass but now it sounds bl**dy awful! Has the sub shook its last door?

Sponsored Links
Have you changed anything else which co-incides with when the humming started?

The obvious suggestion is to check all of your connections, but I'm sure you've already done that ;)

Have you put any electrical cables running near to the sub/amp or alongside your AV/speaker cables?

Finally, do you have a microphone attached to the PC? If so, double-click the volume icon in the system tray and make sure it's muted when you're not using it, they have a habit of producing feedback.

I have a 240v extension lead near the sub but it`s never been a problem before and i`ve checked all the connections and even played about with the sound in XP and i`ve even turned the bass control as low as possible without turning it off completely. Could something have gone wrong with actual sub itself plus I also noticed a dent in the grill that I hadn`t seen before and I don`t remember wacking it.

I just played DEVIL by 666 for its wicked bass and it sounds like the actual bass is distorted

Next step then is to work out if it really is the Logitech system that's kaputt or the sound settings on the PC. Got an iPod? Personal CD player? Headphone jack on anything else? Plug into that with the PC off and see if the problem's still there....

Sponsored Links
I hooked up my mp3 player to the amp and the sub still sounds the same

A dent in the grille is unlikely to be the problem: the grill will be some distance from the speaker cone or the rubber spider.

Has anything fallen inside the sub? I presume it is ported (i.e. a hole in it that is open to the atmosphere). If there is a dead moth in there or something, that could cause a buzz.

Yes the sub is ported and I can see a bit of dust in the hole and I can also see some kind of foam that appears to be the blocking the hole, now correct me if i`m wrong but shouldn`t that hole be clear? because to get deep bass you need air behind

The foam is normal, mine has foam behind the port and the bass sounds fine. Remember the air goes in the port and out of the speaker grille (actually that's not technically correct but a good simplification).

The dent in the grille won't be the problem itself but it does suggest the unit could have had a knock at some point. If you can take it apart, make sure the speaker cone is screwed tightly into place and there's nothing else in there which could be vibrating.

If all else fails, I can recommend a replacement. When I first got my widescreen TV I saw in Asda a 5.1 surround sound system for £34.97 and decided it would be a cheap inroad into home cinema. I'd never heard of the make (Durabrand) before, and so I bought it with a big load of cynicsym that it would be rubbish but would do until I could afford a "proper" one. In fact, I was so impressed with the sound I now have another one for the PC!

For the sake of £35 it would also be an upgrade for you, from 2.1 to 5.1...

just a thought
is the noise comming from both channels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if its only one channel swop speakers over if possible to eliminate the speaker or chanel

He said it was coming from the subwoofer - there's only one of those!

I think i`ll look at a replacement and it won`t be Logitech but until I get some new speakers i`ll enjoy some buzzing bass!

This is the Asda one I referred to:

0001799902004_500X500.jpg

£34.97 currently, as you can see it looks quite smart too. Clearly it would be foolish and unreasonable to expect it to perform like a Sony/Panasonic etc, but as I mentioned, for the money I was so impressed I now have two.

Sponsored Links
Back