Long Gaps Between Brick and Soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New build approx 3 1/2 years old.

I have noticed long gaps between the soffit and the brickwork. On the corners there is another level of brick, but in between the corners there is a run of about 6ft with a 2" or so gap. On the other wall there is something similar.

Is this normal?

Right Side Close Up

upload_2021-3-6_13-32-57.jpeg

Right Side

upload_2021-3-6_13-33-15.jpeg

Left Side

upload_2021-3-6_13-33-25.jpeg

Left Side Close Up

upload_2021-3-6_13-34-13.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-6_13-34-0.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-6_13-34-0.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
No its not normal, its terrible finishing.
Either finish with a cut course of brick or drop the soffit lower to cover the last course.

I have noticed long gaps between the soffit and the brickwork. On the corners there is another level of brick, but in between the corners there is a run of about 6ft with a 2" or so gap. On the other wall there is something similar.

I think you mean a gap between the fascia and the brickwork. The fascia is the vertical L shape, between edge of the roof and the gutter. The soffit rests on the bottom of the L of the fascia, the ledge filling the gap between fascia and the wall.

The soffits seems to have been omitted completely.

https://www.stormclad.co.uk/blog/soffits-fascias/

Sponsored Links
Is this one of those new bat / bird / insect friendly roofs?

I've seen nesting boxes incorporated into brickwork in new builds before but that would be a new one on me.
It does look intentional though.
Maybe the op should check the attic and see if there is some sort of nesting box in the eaves.

Only recently noticed the issue due to lots of bits of loft insulation on the ground beneath it. So yes there must be some nesting going on there.

Poor finish, or incorrectly installed this is a job for the housebuilder, right? Even though it's outside of the 2 year snag timeframe this would have to be an NHBC call?

Poor finish, or incorrectly installed this is a job for the housebuilder, right? Even though it's outside of the 2 year snag timeframe this would have to be an NHBC call?

Yep, worth chasing it up.

Needs sorting quickly, before the nesting starts.

I have seen a similar idea incorporating an insect screen venting the loft .
If it is like it on all sides see if there is a screen.
Probably not but worth checking

I have seen a similar idea incorporating an insect screen venting the loft .
If it is like it on all sides see if there is a screen.
Probably not but worth checking
Could vent the cavity - in front of the insu. slabs. And the loft ?

I checked with the neighbours and theirs is fine. On one side the 2" gap is filled in with brick and messy pointing that looks like it was spread on by hand, on another side it seems to be just a row of muck used as a filler.

It doesn't look as if there is any plastic work missing as the neighbours have the same configuration of fascia and soffits - it's just this gap in brickwork they have left off our house.

Here's a few more close ups

upload_2021-3-7_16-14-4.jpeg

upload_2021-3-7_16-15-17.jpeg

upload_2021-3-7_16-14-33.jpeg

In that last picture you can see some insulation. On the floor beneath that area is this:

upload_2021-3-7_16-16-24.jpeg

If I may sidetrack for a minute; hope that's OK. Whilst viewing the neighbours garden I noticed that the air bricks had half pipe terracota around them to stop the stones covering the vents. This was not done for my house so do I need to do something similar?

As shown in this image it would not be possible to put a half pipe because of the short distance between wall and slabs. Should I just ensure the vents are not blocked periodically, and just move the slate by hand.

upload_2021-3-7_16-22-2.jpeg

In this picture half of the air brick is covered by slab!

upload_2021-3-7_16-20-27.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back