Sealant Or Mortar For Gap Between uPVC Soffit & Render ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a gap varying in height between 8m and 17mm running along the bottom of a soffit and the upper level of the wall rendering. The original wooden soffit was removed and replaced by thinner uPVC soffit hence the gap along the soffit length.

What is the best way to fill in this gap, is it with a silicone sealant or get it pointed in with mortar? The render is to be painted and I have just tested some of the paint on a strip of sealant and there is no adhesion of the paint to the sealant surface. If I get it pointed with some type of mortar mix, will the mortar become loose and drop out after several years due to the lack of depth to the gap. The depth is approximately 12mm depending on the thickness of the rendering.

Alternatively, would an oil based pliolite paint provide better adhesion to the sealant than the emulsion paint I tested it with. I would prefer to avoid having to paint all of the rendering with the oil based version due to cost.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Normally like he says use a trim but for render just use an acrylic or decorators filler, perfect for render gaps. It comes out like silicone, a bit chalkyer but you'll be able to sand it down a little and paint over it fine.

Normally like he says use a trim but for render just use an acrylic or decorators filler, perfect for render gaps. It comes out like silicone, a bit chalkyer but you'll be able to sand it down a little and paint over it fine.

Thx for the info. Would both those types of filler be OK for outdoor use?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back